Profile: Norborne Parish was formed in 1771 from old Frederick Parish and named for Norborne Berkeley, Lord Botetourt, a popular Royal Governor of Virginia. Originally it included the present counties of Berkeley, Morgan, and Jefferson. The first vestry included many who figured prominently in the Revolution and the settlement of the West, including Adam Stephen, Samuel Washington, Thomas Swearingen and Morgan Morgan, II. The first Trinity Church was built in 1776 and stood at the corner of South Street and Maple Avenue.
The building on the present site was erected in 1843 on land given by Elisha Boyd. The Rev. John Chrisholm was the first rector. Initially within the Diocese of Virginia, Norborne Parish became part of the Diocese of West Virginia when it was formed in 1877. In 1954 Trinity’s undercroft was excavated to provide rooms for classes and other activities. A new parish hall was built, the sanctuary was remodeled, and brick facing was added in 1966. Trinity hosted the Diocesan Conventions in 1967 and ully1991.
Project Description: Web site development and design based on a WordPress platform. Web site features cross-browser, multi-platform compatibility.